If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you should do everything that you can to protect yourself and leave your legal options open. If you are still at the scene of the accident, you should:
- Call the police
- Talk to witnesses and get their contact info
- Take pictures of the scene
- Get any information you can about the driver who caused the accident
After the accident, make sure that you receive any medical care that you need and keep records of everything. Then seriously consider hiring a San Mateo County, California pedestrian accident lawyer who can help you fight for compensation.
What Are the Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
Many pedestrian accidents are caused by the negligence of drivers. When you are operating a motor vehicle, you should be prepared to share the road with everyone, including pedestrians. Drivers who are not careful can easily cause harm by:
- Speeding through intersections
- Driving while distracted
- Operating their vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while drowsy or sleep-deprived
- Not paying attention to road signs or traffic signals
- Ignoring the pedestrians’ right-of-way when crossing the road
If a driver is doing any of these things, they are a danger to others on the road. They need to be held accountable when they cause someone harm.
When Should I Sue After a Pedestrian Accident?
If you are injured in a pedestrian accident and find yourself facing a mountain of medical bills and other expenses due to the negligence of someone else, then you should pursue a personal injury suit. You may be offered a settlement by an insurance company or another party involved in your accident, but these initial offers are rarely enough to cover all of your expenses.
That is why pursuing compensation can be one of your best options. A proper compensation offer can help make up for the economic and emotional toll that an accident has had on you and your family. It can help make up for:
- The cost of medical care
- Lost wages and earning potential
- A loss of enjoyment of life
- Disfigurement or disability
- Emotional anguish
- Any other pain and suffering you have experienced
It can seem stressful to add a lawsuit to the mix when you are already trying to focus on your recovery, but our law firm can help you. A pedestrian accident attorney can take some of the burdens off you and help you fight for the compensation that you deserve.
Talk to a California Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you are ready to learn more about your legal options, contact the Law Offices of Allister R. Liao. We would be happy to give you a free initial consultation and tell you more about how we may be able to help you and your family in this trying time.