San Mateo County, California Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, roughly 10,000 people are killed every year in accidents involving drunk drivers. This is a harrowing number, and unfortunately, despite rigorous campaigning against drunk driving and harsh penalties in place for those caught doing so, many people still take the risk and get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle after consuming alcohol. If you or a loved one was harmed by a drunk driver, please don’t hesitate to contact a seasoned San Mateo County drunk driving accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Allister R. Liao so we can help you get the justice you deserve.

Why Hire a Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer?

When a person causes an auto accident with alcohol in their system, it’s fair to say that the accident was almost 100% preventable, had they simply not made the decision to drive while under the influence. Unfortunately, these otherwise-preventable accidents frequently are responsible for permanent injuries and fatalities. Our San Mateo County, California car accident lawyer is here to help get you the compensation you deserve and need to mitigate the physical, financial, and emotional burdens you’ve incurred.

What Should I Do if I’m Involved in an Accident With a Drunk Driver?

After an auto accident of any kind, the very first thing you should do is call the police to the scene. They will send medical services to treat any injuries you may have sustained, write up an accident report, and, if they think the driver may be under the influence, they will likely breathalyze them as well. If the driver has a blood alcohol content of .08% or higher, they will be charged with a DUI. Additionally, failing a breathalyzer test is among the best ways to assign liability after an accident.

If you can, after your accident, you should also try to take pictures of your car and the other driver’s vehicle, get witness contact information, and keep copies of all medical documentation regarding your injuries, as we can use all of these things to satisfy the burden of proof in your personal injury claim.

Does California Have a Dram Shop Law?

A dram shop law essentially gives those injured by drunk drivers the right to sue both the driver and the establishment that served the driver alcohol under certain circumstances, such as if the establishment served someone who was already clearly intoxicated. That said, California is one of the few states that does not have a dram shop law, but there is an exception: if an establishment serves an “obviously intoxicated minor” alcohol, and that person then causes an accident and injures another, the victim may sue both the driver and the establishment that served them.

How Long Can I Wait to Sue?

Here in California, in most cases, accident victims will have two years from the date of their accident to file a personal injury claim. That said, depending on the circumstances of your crash, you may only have as few as six months to sue, which is why it’s always best to hire a drunk driving accident lawyer as soon after your accident occurred as possible.

Contact a CA Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Today

If your or a loved one has been harmed by a drunk driver, you can turn to the Law Offices of Allister R. Liao to fight for the full and fair compensation to which you are entitled. Contact us today so we can get working on your case.

Read Our Recent Blogs
Are Medical Bills Paid from a Personal Injury Settlement?

Click to read more information on the way medical bills are often paid for by compensation from a personal injury settlement.

Read more
How Do Alcohol and Drugs Contribute to Motorcycle Accidents?

Read for information about how alcohol and drugs can contribute to motorcycle accidents. Speak with an attorney for more information.

Read more
Does a Lack of Maintenance Contribute to Truck Accidents?

Truck accidents are caused by many things, including a lack of maintenance. Read on and work with a lawyer during your accident…

Read more
Read More Blogs
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.