There is nothing worse than sustaining a serious injury as a result of someone else’s negligence. Unfortunately, auto accidents of all kinds occur every single day here in California. Car accidents involving commercial trucks are common, and, often, devastating. If you are someone who has been injured in such an accident, you’re most likely now seeking financial compensation to heal. Please continue reading and speak with a dedicated San Mateo County, California truck accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Allister R. Liao to learn more about these accidents and how our legal team can help if you’ve been hurt in one. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What are some common causes of car accidents involving commercial trucks in California?
Car accidents involving commercial trucks can occur for a wide range of reasons. In most cases, they are a result of truck driver negligence, but there are other potential causes, including poor truck maintenance, negligent truck employees or employers, dangerous road conditions, and more. That said, we most often see these happen because of driver negligence. Some common examples of truck driver negligence include:
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued due to long hours behind the wheel
- Failing to account for blind spots
- Taking turns too widely or too sharp
- Failing to allow enough time to brake
- Speeding to meet deadlines
If you were hurt due to any of the aforementioned, there is a strong chance that you will qualify for financial compensation in a future personal injury claim.
What should I do after being hurt in a commercial truck accident?
If you are injured in a commercial truck accident, you should take certain steps to increase your chances of recovering compensation via a personal injury claim. Just some of the actions you should take, if possible, are as follows:
- Call the police.
- Get witness contact information.
- Take pictures of the damage to your vehicle, the other driver’s vehicle, and your injuries
- Keep copies of medical documentation associated with your injuries
- Hire a dedicated San Mateo County, California motor vehicle accident lawyer who can help you fight for the compensation you need.
How long will I have to file an injury claim in California?
In California, accident victims generally have two years from the date of their accident to file a personal injury claim, in accordance with the state’s statute of limitations. If you wait longer than two years, you’ll likely permanently lose your right to sue.
CONTACT THE LAW OFFICES OF ALLISTER R. LIAO
The Law Offices of Allister R. Liao proudly handles the gamut of auto accident injury claims for clients here in San Mateo County and throughout California. Contact us today to schedule your free initial consultation.