Do I Need to Have Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage in California?

crowded highway

Insurance can help protect you and your loved ones get into a car accident, but not every type of coverage is mandatory. One optional type of coverage is uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. It is not a requirement in California, but it can come in handy. And remember that if you were injured in a car accident, a San Mateo County, California hit & run accident lawyer from our firm is prepared to help you.

Does California Recommend Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

California recommends but does not mandate uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. More specifically, the state recommends bodily injury coverage. It requests that insurers tell their customers to take out coverage with a minimum limit of $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident.

You can decide to reject this coverage, but before you do we think that you should think about what can happen if you get into an accident without uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

What If I Am In An Accident Without Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

In most cases, if you get into a car accident with somebody else and it is their fault, you are paid through their car insurance plan’s liability coverage. When a driver does not have this coverage, that can be a problem. Sometimes they might have the minimum required coverage and that is not enough to make up for the costs of an accident. That can also be a problem.

If you had uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, here is where it would kick in. Your own insurance policy can help make up for the gaps in the other driver’s coverage. As an added bonus, this type of coverage can also come in handy in hit-and-run accidents when one driver flees the scene.

How Can a Car Accident Lawyer Help Me?

You may think that you do not need a lawyer if you have insurance coverage, but having a knowledgeable car accident attorney by your side can be helpful. Your lawyer can:

Talk to your insurance company: Even if you have coverage, sometimes an insurance company is reluctant to pay out. Your lawyer can reach out to the insurer and show them that your claim is legitimate. You deserve compensation from the policy that you are paying for.

Sue for damages: If you or your loved one have severe injuries, insurance settlements might not be enough to make up for the expenses of your accident. In cases like these, we can help you pursue compensation and hold the negligent party who caused your accident accountable.

Even if you have the right kinds of insurance coverage, an auto accident can leave behind thousands of dollars in damages, grievous injuries, and plenty of psychological trauma. We can help you make things right afterward.

Schedule a Consultation Today

If you have been injured in a car accident and the insurance companies are not offering you enough, let us help. Call the Law Offices of Allister R. Liao and schedule your consultation today. We would love to take the opportunity to tell you more about how we can help you pursue all of your legal options.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.