Can I Still File an Injury Claim If I Initially Denied Medical Care?

hand wrapped after injury

When you get into an accident, it is usually recommended that you seek out medical care right away. If you wait a little while before you actually go to the doctor, you can still file an injury claim. However, the other side might try to use this delay against you as it tries to poke holes in your case. This is why you are probably going to want an experienced San Mateo County, California car accident lawyer on your side.

Will My Denial of Medical Care Count Against Me?

The other side will try to make it count against you. They can do this in a few ways. They might say that:

  • You made your own medical issue worse because you waited to seek treatment
  • Your problem developed later, not during this accident
  • Your injury could not be that bad, because you would have received medical attention right away if it was

They can make these arguments, but you can make counter-arguments of your own and show why you had to or chose to delay treatments. Your attorney can help you refine your points and fight for the best possible outcome.

Do I Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?

You are not required to hire a personal injury lawyer when pursuing a case like this one. However, having an attorney on your side can benefit you in some key ways. Your attorney can help you by:

  • Gathering evidence and building a case
  • Interviewing witnesses
  • Talking to doctors about your prognosis
  • Defending you from any accusations of wrongdoing
  • Calculate fair compensation

What Medical Care Should My Compensation Cover?

A fair compensation offer addresses the medical bills you have already had to pay, but it should also be calculated with any future medical needs in mind. If your injuries from an accident are going to require more treatments or if you will need something like physical therapy.

If your injuries cause you to miss work, the compensation should also cover those lost wages. You can also sue for pain and suffering in most personal injury suits. Car accidents can be quite traumatic, so you should be reimbursed for the mental anguish you have experienced.

How Long Do I Have to Sue for Compensation?

You should remember that you do not have unlimited time to act though. The state of California gives you two years to begin the legal process if you get injured. That seems like a while, but do not underestimate how quickly time can pass as you try and get back to your normal life. Let one of our lawyers take care of the paperwork while you focus on recovery.

Contact Our Law Firm

So if you were injured in an accident, contact the Law Offices of Allister R. Liao. We would love to schedule a consultation and tell you more about how we can be of assistance.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.